Already my close friend and personal curmudgeon has scoffed at my switcharoo (see his comment here). I have little to comment on his comment, other than to share that perhaps Microsoft provides a most excellent operating systems for the type of person who shuns human contact.
But seriously folks, here is a log of computers I’ve owned since 1985. In most cases one PC or handheld replaced another of the same type, but there were periods of overlap (eg, the PowerBook 180 soldiered on to 1996).
Some personal favorites were the Apple //c (hot rodded with a memory board), the Mac SE that got me through grad school, the PowerBook (my first laptop), the SmartBook (amazing value ‘Wintel’ machine like a PowerBook, the Palm Vx (still sweet for its role), and all the "serviceable workhorses" called ThinkPads.
Stinkers? There were a few in the "What was I thinking" category- the ’93 Gateway that we managed to use grudgingly use until ’97, the Newton (did you say ‘Newfoundland’?), the HandSpring Visor (translucent blueberry plastic? uggh), the iPAQ h6315 (that they dared to claim was a phone, except it locked-up routinely while a call was ringing in) and the Treo 600 (non-removable battery and volatile storage, but I was desperate after the HP "phone"). The late model PDA iPAQ (h4150) was almost Palm Vx-like, but added WiFi, very cool. The oldest iPAQS were hot stuff at the time, but in hindsight the dual-PC card "sled" was more like a ridiculously sized toboggan. Oh well, here’s the list in all its glory (or embarrassment).
1)Apple IIc (256K) 1MHz 65C02
2) Apple Mac SE 2MB/40MB 68020
3) Apple Powerbook 180 8MB/80MB 68020
4) Gateway Intel 486-33 16/285
5) SmartBook II 486-66 32MB/250MB
6) Newton MessagePad 120 StrongARM 110 162MHz (sold after 90 days)
7) SmartBook IV 486-100 64MB/500MB
8) ChemBook Pentium 133 128MHz/1GB
9) ComTrade P-150 128/4
10) HP 320LX Handheld SH-3 12MB/4MB
11) ThinkPad 770 P-II 233 256MB/5GB
12) Palm III 2MB 8MHz DragonBall
13) HandSpring Visor Deluxe 8MB 16MHz
14) Sony VAIO 490 P-III 600 256MB/20GB
15) ThinkPad T-20 P-III 700 256MB/10GB
16) Palm Vx 8MB DragonBall EZ 20MHz
17) Compaq iPAQ 3650 32MB ARM 206MHz
18) Compaq iPAQ 3670 64MB ARM 206MHz
19) Compaq iPAQ 3870 64MB ARM 206MHz
20) ThinkPad T-23 P-III 1GHz 512MB/60GB
21) HP iPAQ h4150 64MB XScale PXA255 400MHz
22) Handspring Treo 600 32MB TI OMAP 310 144MHz (returned after 6 days)
23) HP iPAQ h6315 64MB TI OMAP 1510 166MHz
24) ThinkPad T-42p P-III 1GHz 512MB/60GB
25) Palm Treo 650 24MB XScale PXA270 312 MHz
26) MacBook Pro, Duo Core 2.4GHz 2GB/160GB
27) Apple iPhone ??MHz Samsung ARM/8GB (returned after 7 days)